Venebio Opioid Advisor (VOA) is a clinical decision support tool to support safer opioid prescribing. The tool provides an evidence-based, real-time, quantitative estimate of a patient’s likelihood of experiencing a life-threatening opioid emergency in the next six months.
- Estimates the likelihood of experiencing an overdose or serious opioid-induced respiratory depression (OIRD) among medical users of prescription opioids by analyzing multiple demographic, clinical, medication, and health care utilization variables that are automatically identified and retrieved from the patient’s electronic medical record or other sources.
- Uses proprietary logic to create a personalized risk factor profile for each patient and predict the probability of experiencing serious OIRD during the next six months.
- Supports clinical decision making by providing individualized, evidence-based, risk-mitigation interventions, based upon the patient’s unique risk factor profile, for the health care professional and patient to consider implementing.
- Integrates directly with electronic medical records or with other systems such as an analytics warehouse, population health platform, or health information exchange (HIE).
- Can be used reliably and accurately by trained, non-physician healthcare professionals (e.g., PAs, RNs, LPNs), saving valuable clinician time and improving workflow.
Read more about the Venebio Opioid Advisor in the VOA Product Sheet.
VOA Modes of Implementation
- Population Health: A large patient population can be analyzed in “batch mode” from existing data provided by entities such as integrated health systems or insurance companies. In this setting, reports are generated and issued to the organization; or the client can view reports through a HIPAA-compliant, web-based portal. These reports enable risk stratification of patients and facilitate proactive follow-up of high-risk patients during a subsequent clinical encounter.
- Point-of-Care: A health care professional deploys VOA in a one-on-one setting when an opioid is being prescribed or considered. The output can inform clinical decision making and prescriber/patient education in real time regarding risk-mitigating interventions to consider.
- E-prescribing Module: As an e-prescribing module add-on for medication management platforms that provide e-prescribing capabilities, VOA can incorporate logic to alert health care professionals about patients at high risk for opioid overdose.
Contact Us to request a demonstration of the Venebio Opioid Advisor.